academic (dense) writing

Subject: academic (dense) writing
From: Thom Remington <remingtf -at- ENGG-MAIL -dot- LVS -dot- DUPONT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 08:14:47 -0500

Summary of thread: Academic writing meant for other academics is dense
because that's what they expect. The problem is that few can understand it
or stay awake through the attempt.

OK. If academics want to write that way to impress each other, I have no
problem with it. But I do remember, as a college student, having to wade
through the same kind of stuff. I recall, in particular, a sociology
textbook that was completely and utterly incomprehensible. Its author was
considered a leading light in the field, but I could never figure out why. I
guess his writing was so obscure that everyone figured he must be brilliant!

He may have been brilliant, but his textbook was useless, because his
brilliance was shielded by his writing.

Thom Remington
thomas -dot- f -dot- remington -at- usa -dot- dupont -dot- com
Speaking for myself

NOTE: This e-mail note was perfect when it left my computer. Any errors or
typos are the result of faulty transmission, your computer, or your
perceptions. ;->