Re[2]: Java and ActiveX

Subject: Re[2]: Java and ActiveX
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 07:56:56 -0500

This is more a technical issue than a techwriting issue; both of these
technologies will be developed by programmers, not writers. Still, putting
on my techie hat:

Users of the Java Virtual Machine packaged with Microsoft
Visual J++ can use and create COM and ActiveX objects using Java.

Due to the fact that the MS verion of the Java VM contains Windows-specific
extensions, I'd be hesitant about doing any cross-platform work with their
development tools. You might have a hard time running the app or applet on
other platforms.

As far as I know, the COM-enabled Java VM is implemented only on
Windows 95 and Windows NT, but Eddon and Eddon point out
that COM is a platform-independent architecture.

The biggest problem with all object models is making them get along with
other vendors' products. COM is no exception to this.

From where I sit, it looks like MS is trying approach Java in the same
manner they apprched BASIC: taking an open language and customizing it to
the point that no one can depend upon any version of it being compatible
with any other version, and relying upon their desktop OS market share to
ensure that everyone uses their version. (Note: whether this is a criticism
or praise depends entirely upon your business philosophy. I'm merely making
the observation.)

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224