Re: Academic Writing-quite long

Subject: Re: Academic Writing-quite long
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 11:36:57 -0600

Pete Kloppenburg wrote:

> Recently (and if I had the time I'd give you the specifics - if anybody really
> wants it I'll track down the source) a journal of literary criticism devoted to
> the postmodern published an article by a physicist. In the article the
> physicist, who is quite well respected by his peers, wrote at
> length on the connections between quantum theory and postmodern
> theory, and concluded that the postmodernists had somehow
> stumbled onto a literary theory which could be backed up by
> physical evidence.

A complete account of the rather amusing "Sokal Affair" can be found at
http://weber.u.washington.edu/%7Ejwalsh/sokal/

While some of us are debating the virtues/evils of academic writing,
let's be careful to distinguish between the more flagrant excesses of
postmodern literary theorists and the writings of literate people who
are able to use large words in complex sentences. I'm not sure which
type of writing some of you might be having a problem with.

Regards,
Steve
--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019