Creating Indexes

Subject: Creating Indexes
From: Nate Rush <nater -at- KARMAK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 08:01:35 -0600

My thanks to all who responded to my request for help with creating book
indexes. For those of you who are interested, following is a list of the
resources I received. These are *not* listed in order of preference.

* "Indexing Books" by Nancy Mulvany. 1994. University of Chicago Press.
ISBN 0-226-55014-1 (This is the text book for the USDA Graduate School
correspondence course in Basic Indexing.)

* "Indexing from A to Z" by Hans H. Wellisch. 1991. The H.W. Wilson
Company, New York. ISBN 0-8242-0807-2

* "The Art of Indexing" (Wiley Technical Communication Library); Larry
S. Bonura; Hardcover; $24.26.

* "Science and Technical Writing: A Manual of Style" (A Henry Holt
Reference Book); Philip Rubens; Paperback; $17.96. See Chapter 11.

* "Read Me First! : A Style Guide for the Computer Industry"; Sun
Technical Publications (Editor); Paperback; $26.96.

* If you just want a chapter, get the Chicago Manual of Style. The
indexing chapter was written by Nancy Mulbany.

* IBM's internal publication entitled "Information Development
Guideline: Indexing." It is for internal use only, but if you ever see a
copy lying around in a book sale or something, grab it.

Two names kept popping up as "gurus" of indexing: Lori Lathrop who
wrote to say many of the above books are very good, and Nancy Mulvaney,
who wrote "Indexing Books" (see above).

Again, thanks!
--

Nate Rush - Director of Documentation