Re: Getting the programmers to come to you

Subject: Re: Getting the programmers to come to you
From: John Posada <jposada -at- NOTES -dot- CC -dot- BELLCORE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 15:35:54 -0500

>>> Is anyone else on the list bewildered by the fact that so many of us
suggest that we actually BRIBE programmers to do what should be part
of their job and give us the info we need to document the software?
Isn't it the job of management to instill a higher value of
documentation into programmers/developers and construct processes
that implement it? Aren't we just re-enforcing programmers'
lackadaisical attitude when it comes to working WITH tech writers by
coddling them with snacks?

>>> Or am I just in the wrong profession? :-)

In a perfect world, you'd be right. However, this isn't, you are, and I use
anything that DOES work...including an after-hours pizza-party (on me) to get
several of them in one room, at the same time, after closing time to eliminate
distractions.

You do what works, not what should work.

By the way...microwave popcorn and a cooperative airflow in the hallway gets
their attention pretty quickly, too

John Posada
Central NJ Employment Manager - Technical Proposal Writer
STC - Bellcore
http://stc.org/region2/njc/ - (908) 699-5839

jposada -at- notes -dot- cc -dot- bellcore -dot- com (work)
http://www.bellcore.com (work)

jposada -at- injersey -dot- com (personal)
http://nj5.injersey.com/~jposada (personal)

"If you give a person a fish, they'll fish for a day. But if you train a
person to fish, they'll fish for a lifetime."
Vice President Dan Quayle 10/13/92