Re: Parentheses with other Punctuation - Question

Subject: Re: Parentheses with other Punctuation - Question
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 10:49:00 -0700

Mike Ingram writes:

"Text text text text (Text text text. Text text text. Text text text.)
text
text text.

"My question is whether to go ahead and have periods for each sentence
within
the parentheses. As I found when I looked a bit, the references use an
example with a single sentence and omit the period. I am leaning toward
using periods for all sentences within the parentheses or trying to
convince
the authors that a rewrite is needed."
-------

I hope you can convince the authors to rewrite the sentence. Regardless
of the conventions for punctuation in parentheses, the sentence is
probably needlessly complex. (Of course, I'm guessing since I can't see
the syntax of the original.)

Bill Burns
Technical Writer
billdb -at- ile -dot- com