Re: Cooperative Programmers: (Was: Documents Before Products)

Subject: Re: Cooperative Programmers: (Was: Documents Before Products)
From: Sheila Govindaraj <sheila -at- ADITI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 20:09:58 -0800

Yeah. This is something akin to what happens in my organisation. If I am
not very comfortable with the UI or if I find that there's a certain
level of discomfort with the procedure I'm documenting, I normally walk
across to the Dev guys and talk to them. They are most cooperative and
are always ready to give that extra inch to make their s/w friendlier.
But the hitch is I'm always asked to report the point I've raised as a
bug, which I hesitate to do. A bug is a bug only if the product does not
conform to the specs (at least where I'm currently working <g>).

So I have a suspicion that the dev guys try to get back at the Program
Mgmt team (who write the specs) through me. I don't mind this though, as
long as the product improves. I take the easy way out and send a mail on
the points I've raised to just about every body who is somebody in
Product Development. My point gets across and Program Mgmt includes my
comments in the specs! Quite a roundabout, eh? I've been forced to adopt
this measure, if you like, 'coz if I comment on any possible improvement
to Program Management (I report to the Program Manager), she takes the
credit for it!

And a note to Gurudutt from India: there's a whole bunch of Tech Writers
and Online doc developers (35 to 40 of us!) here in Bangalore, India.
We've got a hotline going (via email). I remember emailing you a couple
of months ago, but you did not respond!
Hey listers! PLEASE DO NOT FLAME ME FOR THIS.

Sheila Govindaraj
sheila -at- aditi -dot- com
Aditi Technologies India
http://www.aditi.com