Re: Doc delivery problems: got an answer?

Subject: Re: Doc delivery problems: got an answer?
From: "Kristine J. Olberg" <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 21:50:24 -0600

----------
> From: Lee Kimmelman <leek -at- ulead -dot- com -dot- tw>
>
> I'm tempted to answer:
>
> Yes! Try *.txt
>
> You do not mention the system configurations of your users. If they are
in
> Windows, then you might try WinHelp. If you do a simple structure, you
> could use RoboHelp (or Doc-2-Help) to create concurrent HTML and WinHelp
> documents.

My users run everything from DOS to OS/2 to UNIX to Mac to Windows/Win95/NT
to Linux ... The hardware runs the gamut from an IBM PC AT to
top-of-the-line machines.

> If you are extending the documentation to other platforms, then there is
no
> way to make sure your readers have the installed base to read any format
> (other than text) that you deliver. But, a good cross-platform hypertext
..

I've thought of PDF and it was suggested by another person. But doesn't the
authoring tool cost quite a bit? Like $2500? I hesitate to spend that kind
of money when the possibility exists that an inexpensive (or free) tool
will give me the same results. (I do realize that eliminating hardcopy
distribution will save $2500 many times over in the years to come.)

Other suggestions?

Regards...Kris