Re: Hyphenation Conventions

Subject: Re: Hyphenation Conventions
From: Earl Morton <WorkgWords -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 00:47:57 -0500

In a message dated 97-03-20 11:06:56 EST, Lisa Higgins writes:

Newly-coined words generally start out as two words, then hyphenate,
then become a single word. (E.g., to morrow, to-morrow, tomorrow)

Personally, I try to stay ahead of the curve if I'm reasonably sure
that the word is common enough that everyone will understand it. I
don't want to run the risk of my user manuals looking quaint in a
couple of years.
<<

Interesting! I try to stay a little behind the curve, so the text doesn't
look like a mistake or typo to those readers who are more conservative about
such things and slower to adopt the changes. I figure that readers who accept
the changes sooner are more likely to forgive me (or not even notice) if I
use the older, more conservative convention, while those who prefer the older
form are more likely to blame me (and more importantly, my client) for an
"error" in usage if I change before they do. I use this approach for just
about all changing grammatical and typographical conventions.

Earl Morton
WorkgWords -at- aol -dot- com