Re: Do techies really know what other techies need?

Subject: Re: Do techies really know what other techies need?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 12:51:23 -0500

Rush <> writes:
|> I have this problem...
|>
|> My problem is that the programmer I work most closely with despises
all
|> my tries at making text more accessible.
|>
|> So, does anyone have any clever techniques for dealing with this
|> argument? BTW--he really does *not* appreciate discussions about
good
|> writing technique.

One of my first teachers (hi, Wendy!) came up with a line I've borrowed
in similar situations.

Whenever other arguments fail, shake your head and say, "Well, if that's
the image you want to project." Say it in a tone that implies that
they're making a BIG mistake, but don't say anything more. Let the
implication sink in.

I've yet to find anyone, techie or not, who is so self-confident that
this trick doesn't undermine their convictions enough that they listen
to you.

--
Bruce Byfield (bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com)
Technical Writer