Re: home alone tech writers

Subject: Re: home alone tech writers
From: Mitch Berg <mberg -at- IS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 06:24:58 -0600

At 06:27 PM 3/25/97 -0800, you wrote:
>I would be interested in hearing from those tech writers who work out of
>their home. How do you find it? Do you have difficulty finding work?
>Advantages? Disadvantages? How do you find potential business?

I loved it. For about eighteen months, I managed to get a consistent string
of contracts that allowed me to work out of my home office.

Better, I got most of them to let me work (most of the time) from noon-8PM.
I was able to spend the mornings with my kids, and my wife picked them up at
fiveish, so they only needed to spend half-days in daycare. As they were
four and three at the time (last year), this was important to me.

I found business three ways - networking, networking and networking. Some
of the gigs were through body shops, some were indies.

I wound up going to work about eight months ago for an actual, in-office
company, because of the possibility (since unrealized) of moving into human
factors and usability. I miss working from home.