Re: java v. javascript

Subject: Re: java v. javascript
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 07:44:48 -0600

Kristine J. Olberg wrote:

> You're right. There is a difference between Java and JavaScript. Java is a
> compiled language like C or C++, while JavaScript is interpreted.

Thst's not entirely true. Java is compiled to bit code, which is
interpreted by the Java Virtual Machine. The Java Virtual Machine has to
be present in some form for the Java executable to run. I passed this by
the Java guy I share an office with. He said (and this is probably more
than you'll ever want to know) that there are a few different ways this
can work:

-- for applets, the Java Virtual Machine is in the browser (if you have
a Java-enabled browser)

-- the Java Virtual Machine is accessible somehow (usually on the same
drive) to the Java program

-- In the new version of Java (which is, I think, still in beta) you
can inject the Java Virtual Machine into the executable. While this
makes the executable functionally standalone, it bloats it some, too

-- You can run out and get Sun's machine in which the Java Virtual
Machine is in the CPU.

The bottom line is, the Java Virtual Machine has to be around someplace
or you can't run a Java program. In that way, it's not like C or C++.

Chris

--
Chris Hamilton, Technical Writer
Greenbrier & Russel

"The essence of greatness is the preception that virtue is enough." --
Ralph Waldo Emerson