Re: appears vs is displayed

Subject: Re: appears vs is displayed
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 10:55:45 -0600

I guess it depends on the environment the document is being used in.

I don't see the simple inference in a windowed software system, unless
you can assume the reader is running the software while reading the
document. It's quite possible that there is an Add Patient window off to
the side or something. I just don't see the causality, and when I've
experienced the triple-failure that causes me to read the manual, and
I'm not patient or confident enough to make inferences, no matter how
simple.

Now, as procedural online help, it would work: the reader reads step 1,
clicks Add, sees the Add Patient window, and moves on.

Mike Huber
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com

Opinions expressed are mine alone, any resemblance to those of Rockwell
Software (as if a corporation had opinions) are strictly coincidental.