[no subject]

From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 15:03:25 -0800

Steven Warren wrote:
>Every time I try to be helpful or say
>something, other people on the list say oooh! here is a opportunity to slam
>someone. Who cares that there in my profession or that they are trying to
>learn, or that they might not be as experienced as I am. I'll slam them
>anyway.
>
>Why?

for learning, others for teaching. Still others see it as a venue in
which they can assert their opinions/demonstrate their superiority/
vent their frustrations. Unfortunately, the purposes of some users
do not always serve the needs of others.

I've been a techwr-l list member almost since its inception; and
believe me, I've had to don asbestos undies a time or two myself.
The lessons to be learned, above all, are that technical writing,
for all its external structure and dryness is a profession of
passionate individuals and that we all must develop a thick skin
to survive with our passions in tact.

Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com
-- The _Guide_ is definitive.