Re: Kreativity in Technical Communications

Subject: Re: Kreativity in Technical Communications
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 06:33:15 PST

Books like HOW TO KEEP YOUR VOLKSWAGEN ALIVE and the Dummies books are
written the way they are to put readers at ease. Nervous, diffident
readers often find them reassuring. On the other hand, people who are
already experts find such books to be mincing, prancing, bloated
monstrosities. Experts don't need no stinking tutorials or hand-holding.
They need a good index, clear organization, and technical details.

For example, I've given up on Dummys books. They contain twenty-five
pages of material spread out over five hundred pages. I buy O'Reilly
Nutshell Handbooks when I can. They cut to the chase.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139