Re: PC Processing Power (was Home Alone)

Subject: Re: PC Processing Power (was Home Alone)
From: Mitch Berg <mberg -at- IS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 13:44:54 -0600

----------
> From: Ron Sering CDS <ronaldse -at- MANX -dot- CDS -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
> To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
> Subject: PC Processing Power (was Home Alone)
> Date: Thursday, March 27, 1997 1:34 PM
>
> Mitch Berg made reference to his P100 home PC. I'm now in the market for
a new machine myself, and as usual the older technology is vastly less
expensive than top of the line. Is the performance of a Pentium 120 or 133
still adequate for tech writing tasks, such as help or web page
development, or CBT applications?

Depends on your task. I find my P100 with 32MB of RAM to be a
stump-pullin', fire-breathin', metal-shreddin' banshee at basic word
processing, WinHelp, and putting together all but the VERY largest Frame
books.

Only when you get into the VERY biggest graphics, with the VERY latest,
most overbloated gfx packages (Call for Mr. Corel...) do I have any
problems.

For that matter - running Word 6 and RoboHelp on my 386 laptop is slow, but
not unbearable.

In short - I haven't found myself lusting for a P200 box yet...

Your mileage may vary.