Re: PC Processing Power (was Home Alone)

Subject: Re: PC Processing Power (was Home Alone)
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 16:33:33 -0800

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997 12:34:19 MST, Ron Sering CDS wrote:

>Mitch Berg made reference to his P100 home PC. I'm now in the
>market for a new machine myself, and as usual the older
>technology is vastly less expensive than top of the line. Is
>the performance of a Pentium 120 or 133 still adequate for
>tech writing tasks, such as help or web page development,
>or CBT applications?

A 386 is adequate if you can do without the latest, greatest
bloat/hypeware with raging featuritis (goodies such as automated
nosepicker). All depends on what you feel you can deal with or what
you decide you need to get the job done.

Most of my "writing" is done in that old classic, QEdit, which if
necessary will run under DOS 5.0 (or maybe earlier, I never tried) on a
286. The text can then be imported into whatever layout tool (Word,
Lotus, Frame, etc.). Why bog yourself down with all that unnecessary
stuff when all you're doing is creating content?

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>

No more turning away / From the weak and the weary
No more turning away / From the coldness inside
Just a world that we all must share
It's not enough just to stand and stare
Is it only a dream that there'll be no more turning away?
- Pink Floyd, "On The Turning Away"