Re: PC Processing Power

Subject: Re: PC Processing Power
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 07:03:29 PST

Sure, you can get away with slower equipment. Many of us have never used
really fast systems, really good keyboards, really good monitors, really
large hard drives, really good software -- and thus have no really good
idea of their potential.

Except for notebook computers, I have not purchased a PC since 1985. Instead,
I update my old PC piece by piece. (For example, I'm on my sixth motherboard,
my fourth monitor, and my second case.) I've discovered that taking
big steps when upgrading is both cost-effective and labor-effective. If
I upgrade my motherboard to one that's barely adequate, it will only
last a year or two before being replaced. If I upgrade to something that's
truly state of the art, it will last twice as long. Since the difference
in cost is rarely 2:1, and because major upgrades always involve a lot
of downtime and cursing, the decision is a no-brainer: buy the good
stuff and use it longer.

If this is true for motherboards, it's doubly true for everything else.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139