Re: First jobs...?

Subject: Re: First jobs...?
From: "Tony G. Rocco" <trocco -at- NAVIS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 14:59:14 -0800

Thinking about my first jobs brings back painful memories. I lucked into my
first job as a contract tech writer when the news editor for the computer
magazine I worked for signed me on as his apprentice. He was a full-time
contract writer himself, and he found a client who needed a manual written
who was willing to pay me $12/hr to write it as long as I worked under his
supervision and mentorship. It was a lucky break, because I had already
quit my job with the computer magazine when the opportunity came along.

I did that project parttime for 10 months, then went looking for another
contract opportunity. It took me 5 months to find it. That one lasted about
9 months, but was followed by a long period of unemployment when the
recession caused demand for tech writers to dry up considerably.

Things are OK now, but I had to work hard and long to get where I am today.
Maybe breaking in now is easier with the economy rolling along. But it was
rough going for me for quite awhile until the economy here in California
got back on its feet. Good luck in your endeavors.

I should add for the record that I found most tech writers, recruiters, and
doc managers very unsupportive of my early efforts to enter the tech
writing field. However, I am eternally grateful to the writer who gave me
my first break.

- tgr