Wasting time? (was:novelists part II)

Subject: Wasting time? (was:novelists part II)
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 15:04:21 -0800

At 09:26 PM 4/1/97 -0500, Will Kelly wrote:

>If a project has to be done, it doesn't matter to me who is wasting the
>time whether it is TW or any other member of the team.

Well, I've managed to stay out of this discussion so far, but now I
have a question that I just have to have answered. When you're
managing the creative process, how can you tell when an employee
is wasting time? I mean, I assume (Will) that you *can* distinguish
between a true waste of time (defined as when the employee is truely
*not* doing anything work-related) and what I refer to as "screen-
saver activity" -- that is, keeping the hands and eyes busy while
the brain is processing a particularly sticky problem. So, I'm
curious. How do you do it?

Enquiring (managerial) minds wanna know!

Susan W. Gallagher Manager, Technical Publications
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com Expersoft Corporation, San Diego CA
http://www.expersoft.com