Re: Exponents before superscripting

Subject: Re: Exponents before superscripting
From: "Kristine J. Olberg" <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 12:13:49 -0600

Both of the alternatives you suggested (1/cm**4 and 1/cm^4) are valid in
the context of programming. I have seen both of these methods used by
compilers.

I have a few questions: where do you need to put this? On a user interface?
In hardcopy? In softcopy? The method you use depends on where. As another
responder suggested, you can fake a superscript by rolling the platen half
a notch to the "north." But that method won't work if you're trying to
display it on the screen.

Another question: who is the audience for this information? Is it
programmers? Math literate readers? Once again, your audience should help
dictate your method.

Another question: who is lobbying against the alternatives you suggested?
Are they other writers? Application programmers?

Regards...Kris
kris -at- olberg -dot- com
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com