Re: Multilingual documentation

Subject: Re: Multilingual documentation
From: Krista van Laan <vanlaan -at- BILBO -dot- NTC -dot- NOKIA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 15:38:33 +0300

I agree with what John Cornellier wrote about translation. Definitely
hire a company rather than having a translator on contract, and be
extremely careful not to make changes afterwards.

One point I'd like to add is that when I handled translation at
my previous company, I found tranlsation companies that had the same
software I was using (Interleaf).

I gave them files, and they produced a final document
with the same graphics in the same places. They also changed the
callouts in the illustrations to the new languages, which had been
a concern for me. I didn't have to do any work at all.

It was also a relief to have a company take
responsibility for working in languages I didn't understand.

And you don't even have to work with tranlators nearby. From Finland,
I dealt with one company in the USA and another in Belgium.