Salary Requirements

Subject: Salary Requirements
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 12:57:01 +0100

Hello Mike,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von mclark -at- MTU -dot- EDU an All am 07.04.97

mm> From: Michael Clark <mclark -at- MTU -dot- EDU>

mm> I'm applying for a job as a technical writer at a software firm
mm> in
mm> southern Wisconsin, and as a new fish in the market, I'm having
mm> a difficult time trying to determine an appropriate "salary
mm> requirement."

I cannot help you with your questions as I live in a quite different country.
But some basic thoughts might help you:

- Does that job open any gates, e.g. giving you important experience?
If not it might not be worth considering.
- How much money to you need for health insurance, retirement funds,
acceptable housing, taxes and so on?
Try not to cut down on essential insurances and retirement funds.
The latter might be far away at the moment but the early payments
will be the most profitable in the end.
- How much can you set aside for bad times or when you might need money
within the next years? You might marry or set up a home office.

I have heard that you MUST have some credits running to be a decent American
citizen. A German who lived in the US for a few years could not open a bank
account because he did not owe money to anyone. But keep in mind that foreign
money now reduces your freedom in the future.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance Technical Writer (electronics, software)