HTML in Word 97

Subject: HTML in Word 97
From: Alex Ragen <alex -at- CHECKPOINT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 16:33:53 +0300

I'd be curious to know if others have had the same problems I've had in
trying to write HTML with Word 97.

Text disappears from the screen as I type it. There I am, 20 or 30
characters into the line, and bingo - the text is gone!

Table entries just up and move from one cell to another. It looks OK on the
screen, but after I save it and look at the file with Netscape, suddenly
things have moved. Back to Word 97, and sure enough, it's screwed up there
too.

Text in table cells spills across cell borders and right out of the table,
or is indented for no apparent reason. When I check the HTML source, I find
all sorts of mysterious commands. After I delete them, the tables start
behaving again, until the next time I save.

Styles (like Strong) are applied and magically unapplied.

Has anyone else had any close encounters with this sort of wierd goings-on,
or am I the victim of a personal vendetta by Microsoft (I once went to the
bathroom in the middle of a Microsoft commercial, and Windows has been
punishing me ever since)?
Thanks in advance for your help (not you, Bill).
--Alex