Re: More regarding help Project Management, and other stuff (LONG)

Subject: Re: More regarding help Project Management, and other stuff (LONG)
From: Buck & Tilly Buchanan <writer -at- DHC -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 17:35:46 -0500

>It's a no-win situation if you can't convince them that your >professional expertise is a value-added. When they fail, they will >come back to you.

Your remark that they will "come back to you" brings to mind my
experience in Singapore in the late 80's.

As I have always done after a mideast contract, I stopped in S'pore to
unwind for a few weeks.

At that time there were more than 400 "government firms" there and I
spent the first month firing off resumes to every company listed in the
directory of gov. companies. My proposal said, "Since there's no
publications company in S'pore, let's start one. I'll run it for you
for two years and when Singaporeans are trained, I'll go away and it's
yours."

Most respondents, when told of my salary requirement, decided that I
wasn't worth it.

However............

One company thought it was a great idea, however, and they tried it on
their own. I didn't know about that until later.

After another two months spent writing a user's manual for H-P Singapore
(that's another story), I came back to Texas. There was a Telephone
message waiting for me from one of the Government companies agreeing to
my proposal.

I returned to S'pore to start what turned out to be the Documentation
Department for Computer Engineering Systems, Ltd.

Patrick Li who ran the division of which Documentation was a part, told
me that they had hired a Journalism graduate to start the department.
When they discovered that tech pubs are different from magazines and
newspapers, they sent her away and called me.

It was a wonderful two years and both CES and I learned a lot about the
publications business in the Chinese business world.

And that's the end of that story.
--
Buck Buchanan

writer -at- dhc -dot- net
Graduate--Texas Institute of Computer Science (programming)
FAA Airline Transport Pilot
CAA Airline Transport Pilot (Yemen Arab Republic)
FAA A&P Mechanic
CAA Radio Engineer (Ethiopia)
CAA Radio Engineer (Yemen Arab Republic)
Licensed Ship's Radio Officer (Panama)
TEA Teaching Certificate (Computer Subjects)
Ham Operator (Extra Class) AB5HY

Renaissance man? Nah; just a short attention span.