Re: Managing Help Files

Subject: Re: Managing Help Files
From: SUZANNE PYLE <comline -at- STAR -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 08:53:57 -0400

At 07:58 AM 4/12/97 -0500, Buck wrote:
>Everyone has had problems with a management which doesn't understand
>requirements of tech pubs.

>Recognizing the script on the wall, at week's end I had accepted
>another, better, more lucrative contract and submitted my resignation
>effective immediately.

Suzanne replies: Speaking from a consultant/contractor's perspective, I'm
finding that some clients expect us to keep going even after we 'recognize
the script on the wall'. And I guess I'm wondering is that how you define
consultant work? Performing acts of greatness in a chaotic/toxic
environment? I think I'll snap in half if that's the definition. When I
recognize the script on the wall, I do what you do, Buck, and I resign and
find something much more 'healthy' in terms of work. We don't have to put up
with dysfunctional management anymore than perm employees do. And sometimes,
you see that there simply will be no negotiating with management, and your
only choice is to quit.

Suzanne