Plural of "mouse"

Subject: Plural of "mouse"
From: Mary Shaw <MSHAW -at- MONEYNET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 09:42:08 -0400

Greg Moore wrote:
>> In fact, I think it's an interesting example precisely because the
computer mouse hasn't been around long enough for all native speakers
of English to have a firm idea of what sounds best in the plural. <<

Good point.

>> But I think eventually a "correct" form of the plural will gain
acceptance; it just might take 10 or 20 years. <<

Microsoft has defined the standards for just about everything else. In
those 10 or 20 years (sooner, IMO), with so many software companies
conforming to MS standards, everyone will be accustomed to the MS
terminology for everything, like it or not.

What do you all suppose the chances are for a non-Microsoft term to
gain favor and standardization over Microsoft's term for the same thing?

-- Mary (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em?)
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/MTShaw/