Re: What do you call that thingamajig

Subject: Re: What do you call that thingamajig
From: Tracy Boyington <tboyi -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 11:04:18 +0000

> Calling it the "universal interdiction symbol" is probably correct if you
> are writing for people for whom it's a technical term - graphic design
> types. For a general audience, that's not going to be real clear. If you
> said "universal interdiction symbol" to me without also saying "do not
> sign" or something, I would go "Huh?"

Speaking of "general audience," I remember a preview for a movie (a
very bad one, probably) where an actress called it "universal symbol
for no." I knew exactly what she was talking about.


Tracy Boyington
tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA

TECHWR-L (Technical Communication) List Information: To send a message
to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send commands
Search the archives at or search and
browse the archives at

Previous by Author: Re: Plural of "mouse"
Next by Author: Re: Is PageMaker Growing in Popularity?
Previous by Thread: Proposal Writing for Large Corporations -- LONG
Next by Thread: What do you call that thingamajig

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads