Re: Anyone heard of this Tufte guy?

Subject: Re: Anyone heard of this Tufte guy?
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 10:51:09 -0500

Chris Hamilton wrote:

> Hello, everyone--
>
> I just got this flier about a book called _Visual Explanations_ by
> Edward Tufte. The flyer calls it pictures of verbs. I think the
> information in this book might be useful, if it's done well. A lot of
> times a series of pictures can make simple a text-based Gourdian knot.
> But the book ain't exactly cheap ($40) and I ain't exactly loaded (with
> money, that is). Has anyone used anything by Mr. Tufte? If so, can you
> tell me how effective his work is? Has anyone used this book?

Who's Edward Tufte, you ask? Why, he's only the god of visually
representing information. Technical communicators across the globe
genuflect at the mere mention of his name.

Seriously, though, he's a recognized authority in the field of visuals
and graphics. His "Visual Display of Quantitative Information" is a
classic. I must confess, however, that I haven't read it.

Maybe someone else can give you more specific advice.

Good luck,
Steve
--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019