Re: Why do you do contract work?

Subject: Re: Why do you do contract work?
From: Folse Kate <folsek -at- BSCC -dot- BLS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:31:00 EDT

John,

Actually, I am just a regular person who is kind of nosy. ;-)

I graduated from college 4 years ago and took the first
job that came my way - the same one I interned at
for 5 mos prior to graduation. Then, when I moved to
another city, I took the first perm job that came my
way. I was miserable and lasted 5 months before
I quit. It was then, after I decided job hopping wasn't
so bad that I could make the leap into consulting.
Turns out that at the end of my first contract, I was faced
with all sorts of issues: what next, why should I take
opp A as opposed to opp B, what about the money,
commute, dress code. And of course, there was
that big question - what if I don't find anything??
how much should I have saved up?

My survey is by no means scientific research. I just
wanted to gather some info from consulting/contracting
pros. Turns out a lot of people have responded back
wanting summaries. The majority of those folks
are considering consulting and want to know
what to expect. A few have actually
suggested that I summarize this information
into an article and publish it in Intercom!

Best,
--kate