Re: Speed reading

Subject: Re: Speed reading
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:56:40 -0600

Earl wrote:

> I am considering taking a speed reading course. As you know, our work
> involves reading a great deal of technical material, and I believe that the
> improved efficiency and retention such courses promise would be very helpful.
> I'd appreciate any of you who have done this telling me about your
> experience.

Earl, do you need to edit as well as write? If so, you might do
yourself more harm than good with a speed-reading course.

I've never taken one, but such courses have been introduced in other
seminars that I've taken. I've listened attentively to the
introductions and decided that the "reading for concepts" approach
is OK for managers, but bad if you need to edit.

Remember this

PARIS IN THE
THE SPRING

and others like it? People miss errors such as this because they
are looking for concepts. This would kill an editor or a writer
who is expected to self-edit.

My 2 cents,
LaVonna

LaVonna F. Funkhouser lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com
COREComm Webmaster webmaster -at- corecomm -dot- com

http://www.corecomm.com/corecomm/