Re: Question about MSWord

Subject: Re: Question about MSWord
From: "L. Burnham O'Donald" <lodonald -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 14:57:08 -0400

Paula Puffer wrote:

> He had a 162 page document opened in Word 95 and when he would insert a
> page break
> or an section break, it would make his headers mess up. The breaks would
> cause the headers to be larger than they needed to be. We stumbled on one
> solution... put extra
> lines on the page and it would nudge the text up until he had the normal
> headers within 1" margins. >

This most definitely happens, just as you describe. My low-tech
solution, when I have to insert a hard page break (as opposed to letting
Word insert a "soft" break) or a section break, is to just retag the
line or paragraph, immediately following the break, that gets messed up.
I definitely don't add any extra lines; that just makes things worse.

I have a question though; are you referring to actual "headers"? The
kind that you normally put in the header/footer area? I haven't known
true headers/footers to be affected by page or section breaks. If you
(or your prof) are trying to place headers within the main document
text, you might be better off placing them in the header/footer area
instead. Just a thought.

Louise O'Donald
lodonald -at- primenet -dot- com