Re: Ventura and Interleaf

Subject: Re: Ventura and Interleaf
From: Estella Clifford <cliff -at- FP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 13:28:40 EST

Ron Sering wrote:

>It sounds like Ventura is staging a comeback. How does it perform with
>long documents and a high volume publishing environment? Is it
>primarily PC-based, or can it be used on a Sun workstation or
>equivalent?

I use Ventura 4.2 on manuals up to 900+ pages long, and have been quite
satisfied with the results. In a manual of this length, the document is
broken up into smaller Ventura chapters (which consist of a .chp files,
text files, etc.).

I'm not sure what is meant by "high volume"; about 20 separate manuals
are released simultaneously, so I consider a release a high volume
event. And the number of pages produced is considerable. Actual print
runs are outside of my bailiwick.

To the best of my knowledge, it is only a PC-based product. I have seen
it used on a Novell file server, a Windows for Workgroups server, and
individual PCs. I believe Interleaf is the DTP for use on UNIX-based
platforms, although I have never used it.

Cheers,

Estella

(clifford -at- fp -dot- com)

My opinions are my own . . .