Re: Document Management Tools

Subject: Re: Document Management Tools
From: Feeman Kevin SC2275 <Feeman_Kevin_SC2275_at_SATCOM23 -at- SATGATE -dot- SAT -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 07:59:55 MST

I once worked for a large corporation, which will remain nameless,
that looked into getting Documentum. It was a real scary proposition
and list for the backward company that I worked for. I think that
Documentum definitely has it advantages, however, there are several
things that need to be considered.

From my experience, I was on the "Total Quality" group that was
looking into Documentum, there are several things that people need to
be aware of:

1. Are you willing for a LARGE learning curve. Documentum is very
complex, confusing, and is not very simple to learn. It takes a lot
of up front management and thought and administrative work to get the
program setup correctly.

2. The use of documentum depends on how update your department is.
For example, the department I was in was barely getting into Microsoft
Word 6.0. Six months before I joined that organization, they did not
even have 486 PCs! They were running VAXes and using an archaic
program called A1, or something like that. Needless to say, 75% of
the group was not very computer savvy. The department management
wanted to jump in using a tool that the rest of the people would have
no way in hell figuring out, let alone using with ease. Documentum is
NOT very user friendly, at least not of 6 months ago.

3. There is a lot of fore thought that needs to be taken into
consideration with documentum. It is a big program, that you can
customize to fit your needs. However, to get down to that fine of
detail takes a lot of work.

Anyway, that is my two cents worth on Documentum. Take them for what
you will. Good luck!

Kevin Feeman
Technical Communicator
Envision

Documents are only as good ass the technical writer working on them.