Re[2]: Help files/RoboHelp/Organization pro [Ref:C004343]

Subject: Re[2]: Help files/RoboHelp/Organization pro [Ref:C004343]
From: Tom Tomasovic <Tom -dot- Tomasovic -at- NA -dot- NWMARKETS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 17:26:31 +0100

Comments: To: Susan Brown <sbrown -at- JSCSYS -dot- COM>

More for Susan:

I agree with this response re: version control.
Depending on the number of files, the frequency of
revision, and the level of control needed, manual
control may be an acceptable alternative.

I also wholeheartedly agree with the comment about
revision marking. We have tried (unsuccessfully)
to use revision marking to create red-line copies
in several instances. Part of the problem with
our efforts may have been a "lack of commitment"
to making it work, but if you don't do it all the
time, you are asking for trouble (IMO).

In my case, people not used to using Word's
revision marks get confused by red-line copies
(many don't know how to turn it on and off), and
there tends to be confusion about clearing
revision marks BEFORE comparing old versions to
newer ones. I have also found that marking
revisions (and not showing them on screen) can
result in some pretty erratic behavior, such as
extra TOC entries, wierd spacing, wierd headers,
etc. Again MO, but not for the faint of heart.

I wish we could take the time to get this right.
When done properly, it seems like a real plus.

Regards,

Tom

<<Tom -dot- Tomasovic -at- na -dot- nwmarkets -dot- com>>

My opinions are my own. That part of me does not
belong to NatWest.

Author: INTERNET TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU at Multimessage
Date: 4/24/97 2:10 PM

Susan Brown wrote:

> 1) The mechanics of controlling updates. My solution has been to give our
> translator a version of the help system as it currently stands. This will be
> stored in a common directory on the network server called Current. When
> significant changes have been made to it, the common version in Current will
> be moved to Previous, the new one to Current, and the MS Word Compare will
> be run and saved, so that she will have a marked up version of the new text,
> so that she can quickly find the changes. Danielle's concern is that we are
> not using an automated Version control system, but my feeling is that with
> only two of us involved, with desks right next to each other, a little
> communication will go a long way, and we don't really need to to try to
> automate everything. But I may be missing something. Comments?

Re version control: depending on the number of files in your help
system, you are probably correct.

Re MS Word Compare: Three words: Test, Test, Test. I've never had much
luck using it on live projects. Hope yours goes better.