Re: H-V Electrical Distribution Systems

Subject: Re: H-V Electrical Distribution Systems
From: Dan BRINEGAR <vr2link -at- VR2LINK -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 10:35:16 -0700

I dunno fer sure, but this kinda screams "Aircraft Carrier."

If I had to do this job, I'd get a copy of "Timmin's Handbook for
Electrical Engineers," find an (unclassified) manual for the power distro
systems of a carrier, and go talk to my old machine-shop instructor
(retired Chief Machinist's Mate) -- buy him a pot of coffee and set aside
an afternoon and make up a list of my questions... just by taking that
course, I learned wayyy more about blacksmithing connecting rods for 18,000
shaft-horsepower deisel APUs than I thought I'd ever wanna know <smirk>

(of course, guessing by your domain, you could already be there...)

If you could hook up with a retired lineman, you could probably get your
ear talked-off about "what all the devices are and how they work." If the
equipment isn't all that new, I've found that the retired fellas who spent
years doing what you're trying to document are all-too willing to tell you
more-than everything you want to know <smile>.

Ya might want to check out community college or skill-center libraries near
a Navy Base, or something like that for the manuals and books you need...
if there's an apprenticeship program there, and it's run by a retired
sailor, you've got it made.

It could be that you've already tried all that, are already working on a
classified power distro system, and are, in fact, a retired lineman, in
which case I humbly beg your forgiveness <grin>

>Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 13:43:43 CST
>From: TIMMERMAN <timmerma -at- IPDLINK -dot- IPD -dot- ANL -dot- GOV>
>Subject: H-V Electrical Distribution Systems
>
>Hi All,
>
>Background: I'm writing the procedures for a high-voltage
>distribution system ....You
>might think of this system as one that feeds a small city of about
>5000 people that include commercial, scientific, industrial, and
>residential users.
>Problem: Vendor and manufacturer's literature is not available. So,
>what I learn is from talking to the linemen (whom very seldom have
>time to talk with me), and from reading the AutoCAD drawings. What I
>need is a reference or text book that describes what all the devices
>are and how they work. Does anyone have any ideas?

Dan Brinegar Information Developer/Research Droid/Mac Guy
http://vr2link.com <-- under construction

Acting Chief Deputy Developer
Macintosh Technical Support
Arizona's only REAL Ex-NetZone Employee's Association!

djb -at- vr2link -dot- com -- Virtual INK
Performance S u p p o r t Svcs.