question about a prospective employer

Subject: question about a prospective employer
From: Joanne Greene <joanne -dot- greene -at- JACOBUS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 07:12:20 -0400

If this is not appropriate for this forum, please let me know. I'm
considering a job hop because of location and am curious if anyone has had
expereince with EDS.

I am currently commuting 50 miles one-way. I happy at my current company,
but the commute is a drag. I've recently arranged two-days a week of
telecommuting, but I don't feel I can totally depend on this, in part
becasue my system is marginally suitable to run our products and I can't
afford to upgrade. This job is entirely private sector software development,
which is does not seem that common in the DC area. This is a plus, beleive
me. Jacobus supports the architecture, engineering and construction
industry, (ie. CAD and related products) which is more consistent with my
knowleges and skills, since my masters degree is in landscape architecture.
I did a battery of aptitude tests at Johnson O"Connor before my last job
hunt and they said I did not have a what they call a technical writer
profile, but have an architec/engineer profile and needed to work in a field
that usesd 3-D visualization, analytical skills and memory for pattern and
did not require a high aptitude for clerical skills. The compromise for an
older worker who has less flexibility to change careers was to find sometype
of way to use exisitng job skills in the recommended field. So I found
Jacobus. The biggest challenge for me as a tech witer is the lack of
clerical aptitude. I can't type well and I don't spell well; I miss things
when I proof read. Production is frustrating for me. I work better with a
production staff, a luxury I don't have at Jacobus.

Any way, to get to the point, I found out a bout an opening for a tech
writer in Frederick MD, which is 25 miles from home. This position is
techwriter/project management for a federal defense contract that is
primarily database and inventory management.It does offer the opportuinit to
due project management; that seems more important to them then the writing.
They are, of course, trying to get me to lower my salary, saying I'm at the
high end of the range and they don't like to hire at the high end. EDS has
more benefits, such as stock options, but if I'm not liquid enough to buy,
what's the advantage?

The main reasons I'm considering this is to get out of the commute and I'm
curioous about the project management. I think it might be a bridge to
another career..

I'd appreciate any comments,

Thanks
Joanne

Joanne Greene
Jacobus Technology, Inc. ...developers of JSpace

voice: 301-926-0802 fax: 301-926-2313
email: joanne -dot- greene -at- jacobus -dot- com