Document management book & web site

Subject: Document management book & web site
From: Ron Rothbart <ron -dot- rothbart -at- DOCUMENTUM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 09:39:16 +0800

Geoff Hart writes:
>Since we've been discussing documentation management
> systems and software lately, I thought this might be of
>interest:
>Boyle, J. 1997. A blueprint for managing documents. Byte
>(May 1997): 75-80.

Here's a book on the subject. I haven't read it yet, but it looks good:

Electronic Document Management Systems:
A User Centered Approach For Creating, Distributing and
Managing Online Publications
Larry Bielawski and Jim Boyle
Prentice Hall

Here's the TOC:

Part I. Concepts
1 A New Paradigm for Managing Online Documents
2 Electronic Document Management: Needs, Benefits, Risks
3 The Document Management Space

Part II. Technology
4 Repository
5 Conversion
6 Indexing and Searching
7 Creation
8 Workflow
9 Distribution

Part III. Methodology
10 Methodology
11 Analysis
12 Prototyping
13 Infrastructure
14 Design and Development
15 Implementation and Support

Part IV. Vendors
16 Vendor Profiles
17 Vendor Listing

It focuses on four vendors: Documentum (my company), Interleaf, OpenText,
and PC DOCS.

There's also a document management web site built around this book:
http://www.goucher.edu/~docman/