Re: Icons

Subject: Re: Icons
From: "Brooks, Steven (Jay)" <jsbrooks -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 16:27:03 -0500

Are icons necessary or desirable? Using an icon forces the reader to
remember what the icon means, or look somewhere in the doc to find out.
We just use the words -- WARNING, CAUTION, NOTE -- with style changes to
make them stand out from regular paragraphs.

Of course, even with using words, the user has to remember the
difference between WARNING and CAUTION or DANGER. However, this should
be obvious from the statement immediately following the word/icon.

A dummy page is a good idea. If I find myself using too many special
statements on a single page, I evaluate and restructure the info so the
impact of the important statements is not lost.

Steve Brooks
e'mail: jsbrooks -at- ingr -dot- com