Searching the job market (was: Seeking info about TW in San Diego, CA)

Subject: Searching the job market (was: Seeking info about TW in San Diego, CA)
From: Mike Collier - SSG <MikeCol -at- SBSERVICES -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 09:30:58 -0400

Here's a couple suggestions about how to easily find information about
the job market for technical writers in a given geographical area:

Use Deja News (http://www.dejanews.com/) to search newsgroups. Using the
quick search tool, type in Technical Writer San Diego CA and you'll
receive fifty or sixty hits. Some will be resumes, and some will be the
same item cross posted, but most of what you'll retrieve will be "tech
writer wanted" postings from recruiters.

Deja News also has advanced searching capabilities that allow you to set
criteria to filter out, and to narrow your search. For example, you can
filter in or out certain skill sets and salary information (provided the
postings include that information to begin with).

Look for the local STC chapter's home page. Usually they provide some
type of employment listings. Contact STC headquarters for links to
chapter pages. (http://www.stc-va.org/)

I'm sure others can suggest additional methods such as using web search
engines. Not to mention such old fashioned methods as going to the
library, reading newspapers and trade publications, networking at
meetings, contacting state job services, etc.

Michael Collier
mikecol -at- sbservices -dot- com
SOFTBANK Services Group
Buffalo, NY