Conditional text in Word 6 (Mac)?

Subject: Conditional text in Word 6 (Mac)?
From: Patty Ewy <pewy -at- ICONTROL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 14:50:11 -0500

Thanks to everyone who shared their insights about documenting a
component-based software system. Thanks especially to Graham Dowden, Gina
Sieczkowski, Theresa Dunson and John Bell. You guys have really given me a
lot to chew over!!

After considering this a little more, it looks like we may need to use tools
that will enable us to manipulate our text in different ways. Specifically,
I think we'll need to use conditional text.

I know that Framemaker provides this, but it's way out of the ballpark for
us at this point. There's no such thing in PageMaker (our current tool).
Right now, the only other option that's available to me is Word 6 (on a
Mac.) I looked around some in the help files for info about conditional
text, but didn't find matches. Is "conditional text" just a different slant
on mail merge, using the fields and functions built into Word under that
feature?? In my perfect world, I wouldn't have to part with my PowerMac.
(Don't scoff at this: I have a 9500/200, and it is soooo cool.)

Any advice or pointers about where to go to learn more about conditional
text would be appreciated. Thanks.

Patty Ewy
pewy -at- icontrol -dot- com