Reply to Lynn Gold <figmo -at- RAHUL -dot- NET>

Subject: Reply to Lynn Gold <figmo -at- RAHUL -dot- NET>
From: Martha Ridge-Breil <mbreil -at- LYCOS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 08:43:57 -0400

Subject: Variables in API documentation

>>I've gotten into heated debates with co-workers over this one and
>>wanted some opinions.

>>For example, would you use:

>>a) rm <filename>
(using angle brackets that are not supposed to be typed as part of the
command)

>>b) rm *filename*
(where the asterisks here are denoting italicized text)

>>c) rm filename
(no special demarcation)
_________
According to a former professor and my fellow UNIX users around here, use
the angle braces <> to signify replacement when writing UNIX commands, and
use the square brackets [] to signify any optional part of the command. If
your audience doesn't know much about UNIX maybe you can include a key up
front...All our programmers and licensees use UNIX, so I can't comment on
other OS.
I hope this helps.
Martha