ReadMe files, License agreements

Subject: ReadMe files, License agreements
From: Debra Graham <dgraham -at- AECSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 18:55:17 -0400

Hi,

I'm working on documenting a schedule software package that runs on
Windows and Macintosh and have some questions about writing installation
instructions.

The User Guide contains instructions for installing a single-user copy
of the product. The Network Essentials Guide contains instructions for
installing the product on a network?the audience for this guide is the
network administrator. Unfortunately, the User Guide has already gone
to print so I can't change the installation instructions in it--but I
can still change the Network Essentials Guide.

Specifically, what I'm wondering is if, in the step-by-step procedures,
I should

? describe what a ReadMe file and tell the administrator to read the
ReadMe file before clicking OK to the next step

? tell the administrator to review the license agreement before clicking
the Accept button.

I looked at the installation instructions for several other software
packages to see if their instructions were that explicit and didn't find
any that said to read the license agreement and only a couple that said
to read the ReadMe file before continuing. Some instructions do
describe the ReadMe file elsewhere and say to read it. I'm not sure how
explicit to be??it might irritating to the network administrator and
make the instructions look longer and more complex; on the other hand,
maybe they need to be directed to do these actions.

Does the audience make a difference??in other words, would you include
the instructions for the end user but not for the network administrator?

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
Debra Graham

--

Debra Graham
Documentation Manager

22611-113 Markey Ct. work email: dgraham -at- aecsoft -dot- com
Sterling, VA 20166 school email:
grahamd -at- gusun -dot- georgetown -dot- edu
(703) 450-1980 ext. 3009 http://www.aecsoft.com
(703) 450-9786 (FAX)