US Customs: Registering high-dollar items

Subject: US Customs: Registering high-dollar items
From: bkane -at- ARTISOFT -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 16:47:43 MTN

Jeanette said:
...Customs is listed in the government section of your phone book
under the US Treasury.

This set me on the trail for my own research. I called the Customs
"Inspection and Control" office in my town. Turns out they're located
inside the local airport.

The lady said it would be a good idea to come down to the office by
Friday and BRING the items you want to register (camera, laptop, tape
recorder and such), and fill out the paperwork. They don't need to see
a purchase receipt, as long as it has a serial number they can record.
She pretty much said "if the item's in your possession, it's yours."

The idea behind the law is to discourage people from buying
high-dollar items Over There and bringing them back without paying
a duty. The registration is just for the purpose of making it
easier to come back into the States with your stuff.

She said you only have to do this once for the lifetime of the
item (you can reuse the paperwork). And it's especially important
to do this if the item _looks brand new_. If it looks beat-up, the
U.S. Customs guy won't suspect that you just bought it in Canada.


TECHWR-L (Technical Communication) List Information: To send a message
to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send commands
Search the archives at or search and
browse the archives at

Previous by Author: SUM'RY: No passport necessary!
Next by Author: Re: Request for new thread (was Re: Salutations!)
Previous by Thread: Re: Frame vs. Word
Next by Thread: Re: Estimating Editing Time...

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads