Re: How do you "register" with U.S. Customs? (off)

Subject: Re: How do you "register" with U.S. Customs? (off)
From: Chuck Beck <cbeck -at- BGNET -dot- BGSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 09:38:28 -0400

Joe Sokohl wrote:
> Based on recent comments re: going from U.S. to Canada for STC's
> conference: Many people have advised registering major electornic
> devices (laptops, cameras, overhead projecters, CD players,
> multidimensional time converters) with U.S. Customs.
> How does one do this? At the point of embarkation? Is there (usually)
> a U.S. Customs office you would do this with before you leave? How
> long does it take? Is it sufficient bringing proof of purchase?

I asked my travel agent about this (we live fairly near the Canadian border,
and she has a lot of clients who travel to Canada frequently). She said you
*can* stop at U.S. Customs on your way *in* and register the equipment with
them if you want, but it's a time-consuming venture.

On the other hand, she said, you can simply take along your sales receipts
(if they're handy) and show them--if requested to--on your way back into the
U.S. Much less time-consuming and only slightly more risky. She claimed her
business clients rarely have problems of that sort in this area anyway
(Detroit-Windsor border crossing).

Hope this helps somebody...

Chuck Beck
cbeck -at- bgnet -dot- bgsu -dot- edu

TECHWR-L (Technical Communication) List Information: To send a message
to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send commands
Search the archives at or search and
browse the archives at

Previous by Author: Re: C++ Programming Class for Technical Writers -Reply
Next by Author: Re: Half Day Interview
Previous by Thread: Re: How do you "register" with U.S. Customs? (off)
Next by Thread: Re: Need passport for Toronto? [Ref:C099997]

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads