Look & Feel (warnings, notes and hints)

Subject: Look & Feel (warnings, notes and hints)
From: Brenda Burnett <brenda -at- PRECISE -dot- AB -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 09:26:01 -0600

Hello People:

I'm currently contracted to update and restructure the user and sys/admin
documentation for a small software company. In this restructure I have
placed various types of information that require more reader focus. I've
divided these items into three categories: warnings, notes and hints.

Initially I just bolded and changed the font of the first word (either
warning, note or hint) and added a line above and below the paragraph.
I'm wondering if there is a better way to do this. I've played around
with placing warnings in a lightly shaded box and leaving notes and
hints alone. Perhaps even placing hints in the margin area. We're working
with 7x8.5 paper so there isn't a whole lot of room on a page.

Any idea? What's being done out there? what have you seen and liked (or
didn't like)? I'd appreciate any feedback you have to offer.

Brenda Burnett
"Contractor at Large"
brenda -at- precise -dot- ab -dot- ca