STC Conference: tax refunds for tourists

Subject: STC Conference: tax refunds for tourists
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 14:40:07 -0500

If you're travelling to the STC conference from outside
Ontario, you should be able to reclaim some or all of your
sales tax. I couldn't contact the Ontario folks to find out
about provincial sales tax rebates, but here's what the
federales told me about their (goods and services) tax (the
provincial tax is probably similar, but hopefully an
Ontario techwhirler will provide details): Any receipt for
durable goods (not food) and accomodation totalling more
than $50 is eligible for a tax refund, but you must have
total purchases of $250 to qualify. You can get a refund
form at most hotels, government offices, and large malls,
and you send the form in along with your receipts. So you
should be able to claim back around $30 Can. just for your
hotel bill. Worth a shot...