Re: The Kennedy Faux Pas [Ref:C189850]

Subject: Re: The Kennedy Faux Pas [Ref:C189850]
From: Peter Brown <pbrown -at- MKS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 11:28:50 -0400

Geoff -dot- King -at- NA -dot- NWMARKETS -dot- COM wrote:
> In the nearly two years that I lived in Berlin, one would hear both the
> colloquial (Ich bin Berliner/Berlinerin) AND the formally correct (Ich bin ein
> Berliner/eine Berlinerin). Which is to say: "Ich bin ein Berliner" makes
> perfectly good German sense (regardless of how it relates to jelly or condoms).
> geoff -dot- king -at- nwmarkets -dot- com

Then my university German instructor was lying to us all along? I
understood that the correct form of "I am a Berliner" was "Ich bin
Berliner." The "ein" was understood but not used when describing your
origin or nationality.

--
"Opinions? I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention."
Peter Brown, Technical Writer (pbrown -at- mks -dot- com)