geezers and fellow-travellers

Subject: geezers and fellow-travellers
From: "Tamminga, Ernie" <et -at- DSC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 09:29:33 -0700

To Geezer extraordinaire:
I've coined the term "wundercodger" to describe someone who has
extraordinary skills in some area, or impressive skills in a bunch of
areas, but who is (maybe much) too old to be a "wunderkind".

And a corollary observation:
A Renaissance Man is a dilettante who's kept at it.
-----
(Apologies for generic "Man", which I actually consider a false-generic.
I'm usually a superstickler about avoiding that usage, but alas,
"Renaissance Person" would lose too much of the power of the phrase.
In fact, I would read the observation above to imply "...a MALE
dilettante who's kept at it". Moreover, I first made the observation,
immodestly, about myself, who am indeed a man. Feel free to substitute
"Woman" as the case may require.)

Parallel acknowledgement: I noticed on an earlier date in this
newsgroup a somewhat similar turn of observation by Buck Buchanan,
modestly attributing Renaissance Man-hood to "a short attention span".