Re: Levels of Edit question

Subject: Re: Levels of Edit question
From: Tom Hoyt <thoyt -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 10:04:29 -0800

Colleen,

>I've been following the thread on estimating editing times and want to
>know... what are your opinions on the differences between
>"copyediting" and "proofreading?"

Copyediting involves polishing language, correcting grammar, checking
logic, enforcing style standards, and querying the author about unclear or
missing material. Proofreading involves checking the keyboarded version
against the edited version of the document for typographical errors,
grammar problems, technical quality, and other errors to ensure that the
two are the same and the document is read to go to press.

Copy editors correct an author's work, and proofreaders correct a
keyboarder's work. Copyediting occurs early in the writing process, while
proofreading occurs at the end, just before going to press. I think most
tech. pubs. depts. fold both tasks into the technical editor's job
description.

If you really want to learn more about the difference, I suggest you take a
look at the following books:

Copyediting:
"Substance & Style: Instruction and Practice in Copyediting" by Mary
Stoughton. (EEI, 1996) ISBN 0-935012-18-4.

Proofreading:
"Mark my Words: Instruction and Practice in Proofreading" by Peggy Smith.
(EEI, 1993) ISBN 0-935012-16-8.

Editing in general:
"Technical Editing" by Judith Tarutz. (HP Press, 1992) ISBN 0-201-56356-8.

The first two are excellent workbooks that teach you everything you need to
know about copyediting and proofreading. The third is an excellent book on
technical editing.

>Does anyone know the exact issue of The Editorial Eye in which editing
>times were discussed? I'd like to refer to it.

I wasn't following that thread, but I do have a copy of "Estimating
Editorial Tasks: A Five-Step Method." You can find it at:
http://www.eeicom.com/eye/estimate.html

Tom Hoyt thoyt -at- qualcomm -dot- com
Senior Technical Editor
QUALCOMM, Inc.